As warmer weather arrives, it’s time to rejuvenate your home after a long, cold winter. If you’re looking for a few projects to get out of the house and into the sunshine, we have you covered.
With this list of easy and affordable ideas, you can spruce up your home and boost curb appeal. And by adding value and style to your abode, it will be ready to make a fantastic first impression if and when you decide to sell. In the meanwhile, it’s sure to be the envy of the block.
So, where do you start? It all really depends on what you currently have and what areas might need some attention. If you follow the basic line of sight from the curb, a good place to start is the landscaping—then move onto the porch and front entryway.
You can then switch gears to adding unique details, like shutters or a water feature. Just be sure to power wash everything for a fresh, clean look.
Ready to knock out a few projects? Here’s your spring checklist.
Plant Next-Level Landscaping
Along with getting your lawn in order, planting flowers and grasses can create a true oasis. Keep taller plants in the back, layer in perennials for year-round interest and keep your mix to about 5-10 flower and plant varieties so it looks thoughtfully composed.
- Trim Shrubs, Pull Weeds and Repair the Grass
- Add a Container Garden with Flowers or Veggies
- Plant Trees to Frame Your House or Entryway
- Add Flower Beds and Mulch Around Your Trees
- Layer Your Garden Beds with Texture and Color
Make Your Porch a Destination
The front porch is often an overlooked opportunity to expand living and entertaining space. Even a small landing can be transformed with plants, paint, an outdoor rug or doormat, plus a cozy chair to enjoy your morning cup of coffee or evening glass of wine.
- Create Warmth and Privacy with Porch Curtains
- Hang a New Porch Swing, Perhaps a Day Bed
- Thrift and Refresh Furniture for Outdoor Seating
- Add a Welcoming Doormat or Outdoor Rug
- Paint, Stain, Reseal, Even Tile the Front Porch
Create a Welcoming Entrance
Take a moment to really look at your home from the curb—where guests and even home buyers might get their first impressions. Is it a reflection of you and the interior style of your home? With a few easy fixes over a weekend or two, you can turn drab into fab.
- Paint Your Front Door a Fresh, Bold Color
- Update Door Hardware and House Numbers
- Modernize the Entry Lighting of Your Home
- Add Charm with Seasonal Front Door Wreaths
Curb Appeal Is All in the Details
This is your opportunity to clean up, get creative and take the front of your home to the next level. Add charm, architectural interest, or a zen-like vibe. And make sure your home looks warm and inviting even at night. Here are just a few ideas to get you started.
- DIY Wood Shutters with Lumber, Paint or Stain
- Install Charming, Flower-Filled Window Boxes
- Paint the Mailbox or Post to Match Your Home
- Paint or Add Decorative Hardware to the Garage
- Install a Water Feature, Birdbath or Outdoor Art
- Illuminate Pathways and Landscape with Lighting
- Power Wash the Siding, Sidewalk and Driveway